Roasted Paleo Butternut Squash Soup with Apple is so easy to make and super healthy, It can be made vegan and Whole30 too!
Roasted Paleo Butternut Squash Soup with Apple
Butternut Squash is almost my favorite winter vegetable.
It would make it to pole position if it wasn’t for all the peeling and chopping.
The last time I made my Beef and Butternut Stew I had to enlist my husband to remove the knife from the middle of the squash, but perhaps that says more about the poor state of my kitchen knives and my pathetic lack of chopping talent than it does about butternut squash being really hard to cut.
Anyway, I jest, I still love butternut squash despite my lack of pro chef chopping skills. And soup, well you can’t really beat soup in the Fall, right?
Except that here in Mississippi our Fall weather is currently a strange hybrid of cooler mornings and daytime highs of near 90f, so the leaves on the trees are just starting to change color while the Pumpkins on my porch are trying hard not to rot in the midday sun.
Well I can’t wait for the weather to get the memo so I’m going to keep on truckin’ with my butternut soup recipe and any other Fall recipes that take my fancy.
So back to the soup, I’ve made this a couple of times and the first time I made it with about three apples which made it way too sweet even for me. I’ve made it since with just one apple the addition of some celery both of which cut the sweetness back. Oh, I nearly forgot, I added in a chuck of fresh ginger, just enough to give it a little zing but not overwhelm the other flavors.
If you have the time to make some simple homemade chicken stock or vegetable stock it will give this soup an added flavor boost. I do use ready made stock quite frequently and have used it for this soup, but there’s no doubt that homemade is better, so use whatever you have time for.
Oh, I almost forgot! You’ll need a blender or a food processor to blitz this up in, I use my food processor most of the time as it holds more liquid.
I really need to get a new stick blender though as that would be much easier to use. The last one broke, plus it had a plastic end which kind of warped in the last pan of hot soup I used it in so next time I’ll be getting one with a stainless steel end.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links
Roasted Paleo Butternut Squash and Apple soup
- 1 3lb/1200g butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger chopped
- 1 Celery Stick chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups or 750mls, vegetable or chicken stock
- sour cream to serve optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, toss prepared squash, apples, onion, celery, garlic and ginger with a little olive oil until mixed well.
- Spread it all onto a baking sheet in a single layer and roast until tender and beginning to brown, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and while hot purée squash mix in a blender with the stock, you may need to do this in batches.
- Transfer to a pan and gently warm the soup over a medium heat, you can thin it out with more stock or a little water if you find it's too thick.
- Serve hot with a little swirl of sour cream if you like, I used dairy free sour cream.