It’s quick and easy to cook chicken tacos in your Instant pot, it does all the work for you with the push of a button! It cooks quickly so it’s perfect for a last minute dinner that will feed your whole family.
This post contains affiliate links
I love to use my Instant Pot when I am short of time and want to throw together a weeknight meal that’s easy to cook and tasty. Some of my favorite pressure cooker recipes include my Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup, my recipe for Instant Pot Pulled Pork which is SO much faster than cooking it in the oven or on the grill!
Ingredients for Chicken Tacos
You should be able to find all the ingredients for this recipe at any grocery store. You will need an Instant Pot or similar electric pressure cooker to make this recipe.
- Chicken breasts – I can get about four or five large chicken breasts into my pressure cooker. This recipe is for four large chicken breasts so you can adjust the seasoning a little if you add more chicken
- Taco Seasoning – You could use store bought but I always make my own taco seasoning as it’s cheaper, easier, and it tastes a lot better!
- Chicken broth – I use just a little to make sure the chicken doesn’t burn with just the salsa juices.
- Jarred Salsa – I drain this and use the juice to add flavor while cooking the chicken, it works really well.
- Taco Toppings – I have included a list of our favorite toppings including avocado, tomato, and cheese but you can really add anything you prefer.
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Tips
Drain the salsa as described in the recipe card below. Failure to do that could cause your electric pressure cooker to show a ‘burn’ notice on the display, it’s more common with thicker liquids such as tomatoes so you’ll want to prevent that.
Make sure you arrange the chicken in a single layer and do not stack the pieces on top of each other or they will not cook properly.
If you add more chicken you do not need to increase the pressure cooking time.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Quick, healthy, and delicious option for a weeknight meal.
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning , homemade, or store bought
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa – drained (*read recipe note 1)
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , diced
- 1 avocado , diced
- 1/2 Iceberg lettuce , shredded
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese
Add chicken broth and the drained liquid from the salsa (please read recipe note first) to the pressure cooker.
Place the chicken breasts into the liquid and sprinkle with the taco seasoning.
Spoon the reserved salsa over the top of each chicken breast, DO NOT STIR!
Lock the lid, turn the steam vent to 'sealing' and using the manual or pressure cook setting, adjust it to cook for 12 minutes for fresh chicken and 15 minutes for frozen chicken breasts.
When the cook time time is up carefully open the steam release valve and when the pressure has dropped you can open the lid.
Check to see that the chicken is fully cooked and that you are able to easily pull it apart with two forks, if it's not cooked enough put the lid back on and cook for two more minutes and test again.
Remove all the cooked chicken breast and shred them with two forks.
Return the chicken to the warm liquid and mix it all together, serve with tortillas and your prefered toppings.
- Salsa – drain one cup of salsa in a sieve. Add the drained salsa liquid to the chicken broth in the pressure cooker, and reserve the rest of the salsa for later.