My simple weeknight Gluten Free Orange Chicken Recipe that can rival Panda Express in terms of flavor, and you can make it at home easily!
How to Make Gluten Free Orange Chicken
This is a very easy recipe to make at home and I’m going to give you a couple of quick tips, it’s not cooked in batter so it’s low in calories too.
- Whist together the Orange Juice, Garlic, Soy Sauce, Ginger, and Dry Sherry and set aside.
- Next, simply chop the chicken breast into two inch pieces, they don’t need to be precise in terms of size and you can use skinless boneless chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Now add the chicken pieces to the marinade, mix them together, cover and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- While the chicken is marinating, mix together the sauce ingredients together and then put it all in a pan and heat gently over a low/medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- I like to serve it over rice for my family, I usually have it with Cauliflower rice.
This post contains affiliate links
How to Make Paleo Chinese Chicken
It’s very easy to adjust this recipe to make it Paleo, I have the substitutions listed in the recipe card but here’s how I would change it up to make it Paleo Compliant.
- Soy Sauce – use coconut aminos for Paleo instead.
- Sugar – you can use coconut sugar or honey instead, you will probably need a little less honey as it’s sweeter than sugar.
- Cornstarch – you can use either arrowroot or tapioca starch to thicken your sauce and both are Paleo compliant. They do tend to be a little more sticky/gloopy than cornstarch is, but as long as you don’t use too much it will be ok.
Gluten Free Orange Chicken
Easy Gluten Free Orange Chicken recipe with Paleo Option
- 2 lb Skinless Chicken Breasts , about 2-3 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice , 80mls - do not use frozen OJ
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1 inch ginger , peeled and grated
- 1/3 cup soy sauce , coconut aminos for paleo
- 1 tbsp dry sherry , optional
- 1 cup orange juice , Do not use frozen OJ
- 1 tbp orange zest , from one orange
- 4 slices fresh ginger , peeled
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp brown sugar , honey for paleo
- 4 tbsp soy sauce , coconut aminos for paleo
- 2 tbsp cornstarch , arrowroot for paleo
- Sesame seeds
- Green onions
Cut your chicken in to bite size pieces and place in a dish with all the marinade ingredients, put in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
In a pan add the sauce ingredients and starch together. Put it on the stove over a low medium heat and stir until the sauce is thickened.
If you want it thicker you can add a little more starch, mix it a small amount of cold water first if you are adding it to the hot sauce.
Add the oil into a non stick skillet and cook the marinaded chicken over a medium high heat for 10 - 15 minutes, or until cooked.
When the chicken is cooked use a slotted spoon to remove it from the cooked marinade and add it to the thickened sauce and mix well
You can serve it over rice, or cauliflower rice for Paleo