It doesn’t get any better than Instant Pot pumpkin soup that’s made with fresh pumpkin and is ready in only 40 minutes. It’s so easy to make you’ll never go back to making it on the stove again!
This post contains affiliate links
How to Make Instant Pot Pumpkin Soup
Here are a couple simple steps for making my pressure cooker pumpkin soup recipe, I think you’ll love it and it’s an absolute breeze to make! Full Printable recipe is at the end of the post.
Step 1 – Cook the pumpkin in your Instant Pot for 15 minutes or until you can slide a knife through the skin and into the flesh. Follow the directions in this post for prepping the cooked pumpkin.
Step 2 – Saute the onions in a little olive oil in until they are soft.
Step 3 -Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper to the onions and stir well.
Step 4 – Add the already cooked pumpkin, chicken broth, and coconut milk and add the lid, cook for 5 minutes under pressure, then NPR for 10 minutes. Using an immersion hand blender to puree the pressure cooker pumpkin soup, serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and toasted pumpkin seeds.
FAQ’s – Instant Pot Pumpkin Soup
- Can I use different milk? Yes, but be aware that the coconut milk does add to the overall flavor of the soup.
- How long does it keep? You can keep it in the fridge for up to three to four days.
- Can I double the recipe? As long as your Instant Pot or pressure cooker is big enough and you don’t go over the maximum fill levels you can. The cook time will remain the same but it will take longer to come to pressure.
- Can I use canned pumpkin? I don’t think that will make for a very tasty soup! But if you really want to you can try it.
- What about a different type of pumpkin? This would work well with butternut squash, just peel and cut it small. You could also use any other freshly cooked pumpkin.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Chowder
Instant Pot Pumpkin Soup
This is a fabulous Instant Pot Pumpkin Soup recipe to make with real sugar pumpkin and it's so healthy with the addition of turmeric! Works for Paleo and Whole30 too.
- 2.5 lb fresh pumpkin puree , 1115g fresh, not canned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1/2 inch piece of root ginger , finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- 3 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- sea salt , to taste
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk , 125mls
- 3 cups gluten free chicken broth (or vegetable) , 700mls
Cook your pumpkin in your Instant Pot for 15 minutes and one cup of water, then quick release. For more details please read this post showing how to cook a whole pumpkin in your Instant Pot.
Turn on the saute function in your pressure cooker, add the chopped onion to the pot and saute in a little olive oil.
Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper to the onions and stir well.
Add the chicken broth or vegetable broth, coconut milk, and cooked fresh pumpkin to the pot and stir again.
Lock the lid, turn the steam release vent to ‘sealing’ and using the manual setting, adjust it to cook for 5 minutes at High Pressure.
When the cook time time is up, allow the unit to reduce pressure on its own without opening the steam release vent (Natural Release) for 7-10 minutes, then release the remaining pressure and open the lid.
Using an immersion blender, blend up the pumpkin soup until it is smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Serve hot with a drizzle of coconut milk and toasted pumpkin seeds.