Learn How to make Pressure Cooker Pumpkin with a whole pumpkin in your Instant Pot in just 15 minutes! This recipe for pressure cooker pumpkin is so easy because you don’t need to cut or peel the pumpkin in any way, and the skin just slides right off!
KITCHEN ITEMS AND INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
You don’t need much to make Pressure Cooker Pumpkin as it’s such a breeze, but here are a couple of gadgets that you’ll need to make this work:
This post contains affiliate links
HOW TO COOK WHOLE PRESSURE COOKER PUMPKIN
I think after you try my method for cooking Pressure Cooker Pumpkin you’ll never look back, it’s SO easy and I’m kicking myself that I didn’t try it earlier in the pumpkin season! Here are a couple quick step by step tips for cooking pressure cooker pumpkin, the detailed printable recipe is at the the end of the post.
- PIE PUMPKINS – The first thing you need to do is pick a nice sized Pie Pumpkin. Also known as Sugar Pumpkins they are much smaller than the huge carving pumpkins you buy to decorate your front porch, they taste sweeter, and most importantly you can fit a whole one in your Instant Pot!
- WASH – wash your pumpkin, leave it whole and add it to the inside of your pressure cooker pot. You can see in the photos that I totally forgot to put the little trivet with the handles underneath it. It’s not a huge deal, but that will make it much easier to lift out.
- COOK – Add 1 cup water and cook at High Pressure for 15 minutes for larger (I used a 2.6lb pumpkin) and a few minutes less if it’s significantly smaller.
- PEEL – Carefully remove the whole pumpkin, if it’s cooked you should be able to slide a knife through the skin and flesh, and the skin should be partly peeling and sliding off already so watch it doesn’t slide off the trivet and onto the floor! Remove it to a chopping board, peel off the skin (you may want to let it cool a bit) and then cut it in half, remove the seeds and save them if you want to bake them in the oven.
- MASH – You can make soup with the puree, make Paleo Pumpkin Pie, or simply mash it with butter, salt and pepper and serve it with your dinner.
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES
My Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats is a PERFECT recipe to use your pumpkin puree in! It’s one of my most popular recipes as you can see from the comments. I have directions for cooking it with rolled oats in the recipe notes section.
I’m so excited to share my recipe for Instant Pot Egg Rolls in a bowl, my boys absolutely love it and I think you will too! There are Paleo options in the post.
The BEST pressure cooker Chicken and Wild Rice soup recipe, it’s gluten free, healthy, tasty and unbelievably easy to make in your electric pressure cooker, you just throw it all in and go!
How to Cook Pressure Cooker Pumpkin (Whole!)
It's a breeze to cook Pressure Cooker Pumpkin, you'll never go back to canned!
- 2.6 lb Sugar Pumpkin
Put the trivet with handles that comes with your Instant Pot inside the inner pot and pour over 1 cup of water.
Now place the whole unpeeled sugar pumpkin on the trivet.
Lock the lid, turn the steam release vent to 'sealing' and using the manual setting, adjust it to cook for 15 minutes at High Pressure for a 2.5lb pumpkin about 12-13 minutes for smaller pumpkins, add a little more time more for bigger pumpkins.
You may need to remove the stem to make it fit in your pot, but you can leave the stem on if it fits.
When the cook time is up open the vent right away. (quick release)
To test if the pumpkin is cooked, you should be able to very easily slide a small sharp knife through the skin and into the pumpkin. If it's not cooked, simply cook it for another 5-6 minutes at high pressure.
When the pumpkin is fully cooked some of the skin should be slipping off, carefully remove it to a cutting board, peel it, and cut in half and remove the seeds.
It may be easier to wait until it's cooled down and is easier to handle.