Instant Pot Salisbury Steak is a perfect weeknight pressure cooker recipe that your whole family will love. Now you can make this American classic recipe in your Instant pot or electric pressure cooker!
This post contains affiliate links
I do love how quick and easy it is to make my Instant Pot Salisbury Steak, it’s full of tasty ingredients including ground beef, Panko, egg, seasoning and served with a rich mushroom and onion gravy.
Tips for Making Instant pot Salisbury Steak
- I used 90/10 ground beef and it worked really well and didn’t render to much fat, I think if you go with leaner beef you may find it a bit dry.
- Ensure that you finely chop the onions otherwise it will be hard for the patties to hold together.
- Cook the onions until they start to turn a golden color, this will make them a little sweeter and make your Instant Pot Salisbury Steaks taste awesome!
- Use a good quality gluten free beef broth concentrate or bouillon cube crumbled into the patties, we like Kitchen Accomplice Beef Broth Concentrate
- Serve this over warm mashed potatoes, they go really well together!
What is Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury Steak is a classic American recipe that’s been around since 1897 and was originally created by an American physician named James Salisbury who believed it to be a health food that should be eaten three times a day!
It typically contains ground beef, onions, and breadcrumbs and various seasonings depending on the recipe and remains pretty similar to the original recipe.
What is the difference between a Salisbury steak and a hamburger steak?
Hamburg Steaks and Salisbury Steaks are similar in that they are both ground beef patties and often contain onions, seasonings.
The Hamburg steaks often contains milk as it’s thought to enhance the flavor.
Kitchen Items you’ll need to cook Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
- Instant Pot Duo – You’ll need a pressure cooker, I have two Instant Pots but the Instant POT Duo 6qt is my favorite!
- Chopping Board – I have a couple sets of boards similar to this and I love that I can throw them in the dishwasher
- Potato Masher – if you are serving this over mashed potatoes then you’ll need a good masher.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
Easy Weeknight Instant Pot Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy that you can cook in your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. This recipe is gluten free and dairy free.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions , finely chopped
- INSTANT POT SALISBURY STEAK PATTIES
- 1.5 lbs ground beef 90/10 , 680g
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp garlic , crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp gluten free worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp gluten free beef broth concentrate , or 1 bouilion cube crumbled
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp dried minced onions
- 1/2 cup cooked onion , taken from 2 onions listed above
- 1/2 cup gluten free panko breadcrumbs , 55g
- INSTANT POT SALISBURY STEAK GRAVY
- 2 cups gluten free beef broth , 500mls
- cooked onion , add remaining cooked onion
- 1 tsp gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp dried minced onion
- 2 tsp cornstarch , & 1 tbsp cold water (or tapioca, or arrowroot)
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced , 226g
Scroll up to watch the recipe video!
Turn on the saute function in your Instant pot and add 2 tbsp olive oil and the finely chopped onions.
Cook until soft and a little golden in color, about 5 minutes then remove from the pot and measure out 1/2 cup to add to the Salisbury Steak patties.
In a large bowl add ground beef, beaten egg, garlic, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, gluten free beef broth concentrate, tomato paste, mustard powder, salt, pepper, dried minced onions, 1/2 cup of the cooked onions, gluten free Panko breadcrumbs, and mix well.
form into 8 patties and then turn on the saute function in your pressure cooker, add a little olive oil and brown the patties on both sides.
Remove the patties and set aside.
Add the gluten free beef broth to the Instant pot and deglaze the bottom of the pan well so that nothing is left sticking to the base.
Add the gravy ingredients to the pot including all the remaining cooked onion, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, dried minced onion, and stir well to combine.
Add the Salisbury Steak patties into the gravy then Add the lid and lock it. Turn the steam release vent to ‘sealing’ and using the ‘manual’ or ‘pressure cook’ setting, adjust it to cook for 6 minutes at High Pressure.
When the cook time is up allow the pressure to decrease naturally which will take about 12-15 minutes or until the pin drops, then remove the lid.
Carefully remove the Salisbury Steak Patties and set aside and cover with foil.
mix the cornstarch with 1tbsp cold water and add to the gravy and stir really well.
Add the sliced mushrooms to the gravy and stir well and let simmer for a few minutes until the gravy has thickened and the mushrooms are cooked.
Add back the patties to the gravy, serve hot with mashed potatoes or over rice or pasta.