This Pressure Cooker Moo Goo Gai Pan is so easy to cook, your whole family will love this easy Chinese takeout made at home!
What is Moo Goo Gai Pan?
Moo Goo Gai Pan is an American version of a popular Cantonese recipe. It’s a pretty simple stir fry dish that typically includes chicken and button mushrooms, but there are several variations depending on the recipe or restaurant it’s served in.
My Instant Pot version also includes snow peas, bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts, as I love the crunchy texture and they are popular with my children.
The sauce is very mild so much of the flavor comes from the vegetables and meat itself. For me it makes a nice change from the soy sauce heavy dishes you often find in restaurants. I like those too, but sometimes a simple sauce is all you need!
If you have homemade chicken stock you can use then this will taste even better!
This post contains affiliate links
How to Make Pressure Cooker Moo Goo Gai Pan
This is a super quick dish to make in your pressure cooker and most of the time is taken up in prepping the ingredients, here are some simple step by step directions, the full recipe and ingredients are listed further down the page.
- I use chicken thighs instead of breast as I think it’s less likely to dry out and overcook when pressure cooked.
- First of all, you need to saute the chicken thigh pieces for just a minute or so.
- Then, we are going to cook it in just a 1/2 cup of gluten free chicken stock for only 1 minute at high pressure and let the pressure drop on it’s own for 7 minutes, then release the remaining pressure and open the lid.
- Next, you need to add the cornstarch, remaining liquid, garlic, ginger and stir for a minute.
- Then add the mushrooms and carrots and cook for two more minutes, and add the remaining vegetables and cook for one more minute.
- Serve hot over rice!
Related Pressure Cooker Recipes
Pressure Cooker Moo Goo Gai Pan (Instant Pot)
This Pressure Cooker Moo Goo Gai Pan is so easy to cook, your whole family will love this Chinese takeout made at home! So easy to make in your Instant Pot or other Electric Pressure Cooker, it's gluten free too.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless, chicken thighs, cut into large pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup gluten free chicken stock , 177 mls
- 1.5 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced , 226g
- 1 cup snow peas
- 8 oz bamboo shoots (canned) , 226g
- 8 oz water chestnuts (canned) , 226g
First, prepare the chicken thighs by cutting into large pieces, and chop all the vegetables, garlic and ginger as directed so that you are ready to cook.
Turn on the saute/browning function in your Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker and add 1 tbsp oil to coat the bottom, use the 'adjust' button to turn it to the medium saute heat. Add 1 tbsp of oil to the inner pot and saute the chicken thigh pieces for just 1 minute, then turn off the saute function.
Add 1/2 cup (120 mls) of the gluten free chicken stock (reserve the rest) to the inner pot along with the chicken thigh pieces.
Lock the lid, turn the steam release vent to 'sealing' and using the manual setting, adjust it to cook for 1 minute at High Pressure.
While the chicken is cooking, mix together the remaining chicken broth, gluten free soy sauce, dry sherry and cornstarch.
When the cook time time is up, allow the unit to reduce pressure on its own without opening the steam release vent (Natural Pressure Release, or NPR) for about 7 minutes, then you can gently release the rest of the pressure by opening the vent.
Add the garlic and ginger, and the liquid into the pot and cook (use saute function) for 1 minute.
Add mushrooms and carrots to the pot, cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Now, add the remaining vegetables and cook for 1 minute, serve hot over rice.
Adapted from Omnivore's Cookbook