Easy Fish Tacos with Cabbage slaw make a perfect weeknight recipe that you can pull together really quickly. I used tilapia fish fillets topped with my blackened seasoning. They cook very fast on a large sheet pan in the oven.
I’ve included a really simple cabbage coleslaw to serve with my Fish Tacos, It’s made from a ready chopped slaw mix with a simple mayo based sauce with green onions, apple cider vinegar and a little celery seeds.
Tips for Making Fish Tacos
- Choose a firm white fish such as tilapia, it will cook quickly, has a great taste and will hold together well in your taco.
- Use my homemade blackened seasoning for the best flavor, it’s gluten free and tastes better than the premixed blends.
- If you are only cooking a few tacos you can simply cook the fish in a well seasoned cast iron skillet or non stick pan on the stovetop instead of in the oven.
- You can prepare the cabbage coleslaw in advance if you prefer, it will keep in the fridge.
- If you want to chop up the avocado ahead of time, just make sure you toss it in a little lemon juice to prevent it from going brown.
What is a good side dish for Fish Tacos?
I make my own cabbage coleslaw with green onions to serve with my fish tacos. I also like to add avocados, and sometimes I will add in other salad vegetables such as spinach, arugula and chopped cherry tomatoes. They may not be authentic but I like them!
What is the best fish for Fish Tacos?
A white firm fleshed salt water fish such as Tilapia, Cod, or Snapper are all good choices. It really depends where you live and what is locally available.
I think that saltwater white fish has a better all round flavor than freshwater fish such as bass or crappie, but I have used them for Fish Tacos too on occasion.
This post contains affiliate links
Kitchen Tools used to Make Fish Tacos
Cast Iron Skillet – this is a workhorse in my kitchen and I use it every single day!
Sheet Pan – I used a large sheet pan to bake the tilapia on for this recipe
Parchment paper – I love to buy the precut sheets for convenience, it’s a bit of a splurge but they fit perfectly on the sheet pans and save time on clean up.
Mixing bowls – This is a great set and one of my favorites!
Easy Fish Tacos with Cabbage slaw make a perfect weeknight recipe that you can pull together in a hurry.
- 4 tilapia fillets approx 6-8 oz each
- 2 tbsp homemade blackened seasoning
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 avocado sliced
- 4 lime wedges
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 green onions
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- celery seeds
Mix the cabbage slaw ingredients together and set aside.
Rub the homemade blackened seasoning evenly over all the tilapia fillets.
Bake Tilapia in a 350F oven on a sheet pan for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked all the way through.
layer your fish tacos with the cabbage slaw, avocado slices and cooked tilapia, serve with a lime wedge.