Quick and Easy Gluten Free Lemon Cupcakes,mixed all in one bowl!
Gluten Free Lemon Cupcakes Recipe
I’ve really enjoyed making gluten free cupcakes over the last few years. Mostly because they are quick, pretty easy, and are always well received by the rest of the family, everyone loves a cute cupcake!
I’ve never been much into baking from cake mixes or boxes, I think the results are usually disappointing and it’s just as easy to make your own cakes.
I don’t want fussy baking either, you won’t find me
in the kitchen trying to make croissants or puff pastry, life’s to short for that!
My gluten free Lemon Cupcakes don’t require anything more than adding all the ingredients into one bowl and simply mixing it all together. You don’t need to cream the margarine and sugar or fold in the flour, it works just as well by throwing it all in together.
When you make your frosting you want to make sure you sift the powdered sugar, it can be a bit tricky to get the lumps out otherwise.
I’ve found that margarine in frosting gets soft much more quickly than butter so use your own judgement regarding adding in milk, you may not need it if you think its soft enough.
I usually keep the cupcakes in the fridge after they are frosted, I’m sure I’m breaking baking rules on that but there’s no way the frosting will stay solid in my Mississippi house in May!
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links
MORE GLUTEN FREE BAKING RECIPES!
- Scottish Empire Biscuits
- The Best Ever Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- 10 of the Best Lemon Dessert Recipes!
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Gluten Free Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
- No Bake Rocky Road
- 120g (¾ cup) All purpose gluten free flour
- ½ tsp xanthan gum (omit if your flour mix has gum added)
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 110g (1 stick) dairy free margarine
- 110g (½ cup sugar) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- lemon zest, from ½ lemon
- 430g, (4 cups) powdered sugar, sieved
- 100g (½ cup) dairy free margarine
- 6 tsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons dairy free milk
- 2 -3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- *READ NOTES FIRST*
- Preheat your oven to 350f
- Add flour, gum, baking powder, margarine, sugar, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest to your mixing bowl.
- Mix well until combined.
- line a cupcake baking tin with cupcake wrappers.
- This mix will make 9 - 12 cupcakes, it depends how much you fill the cupcake wrappers.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of the cupcake mixture into each cupcake wrapper.
- Bake for 18-20 mins on the middle rack in the oven, until cakes are fully cooked.
- Allow them to cool on baking rack.
- While cakes are baking make your frosting by mixing together powdered sugar, margarine, lemon juice. Add in some milk if you need to make the frosting thinner.
- When cakes are fully cooled pipe or spoon on the frosting, I used a wilton large star tip to pipe the frosting.
2.I recognise that most Americans are used to the cup method which is why I also include those measurements, but they may not give you accurate results as they are approximate only. If you are a keen gluten free baker I would encourage you to invest in a digital kitchen scale.
3.I prefer to use my own homemade gluten free flour blend as it's cheaper and I get really great results.
4. If you can, avoid buying flour with gums already added. The reason for this is that you have no way of knowing how much gum is in there and that can alter the outcome of the recipe. So for example, too much gum can give you a more sticky texture in a cupcake. And though the cupcake recipe will still work, it won’t be as nice as if you measured and added the gum yourself.