This easy Southern Chicken Salad is a classic American recipe you’ll love!
How to Make Southern Chicken Salad
This Southern Chicken Salad is an American classic and also one of my favorites. It’s usually what I order when I go out for lunch and thankfully it’s very easy to recreate at home!
The only cooking that may be involved is with the chicken. I usually use leftover roast chicken, rotisserie chicken works well too if you can find one in your grocery store that’s gluten free.
I live in Mississippi and asked my local friends how to make an authentic Southern Chicken Salad and how they would do it, here’s what they said:
- Southern Chicken salad has ‘just enough mayonnaise to hold the ingredients together, so go light on the mayo’
- ‘Die hard Southerners use Duke’s Mayonnaise’ – I’m not a southerner, so I used another brand 🙂
So there you have it! It’s really just a matter of assembling the ingredients together, you don’t need any culinary skills whatsoever (except maybe to cook the chicken).
I think it’s best if you can leave the chicken salad to sit for a while (overnight is best) in the fridge so that the flavors of the onion permeate the salad, it’s really yummy like that.
What Ingredients are in a Southern Chicken Salad?
How long is a piece of string?!
I guess it depends who you ask, but there are some ingredients that are common to an authentic Southern chicken Salad, and others that are optional and really down to personal preference.
Here’s a list of the most common ingredients you’ll find, and then some that are optional so you can add them if you like.
- Chopped cooked chicken – obviously 🙂
- Mayonnaise – Duke’s brand, if you’re a real Southerner!
- Chopped celery
- Chopped onion – I like red, but you can use any onion
- Grapes, halved – I prefer seedless red grapes
- Pecans – my son has a tree nut allergy, but not to almonds, so I used those instead.
- Hard Boiled Eggs – this is optional, I didn’t add them to mine
- Pickles – some recipes had a little chopped dill pickles, but I don’t love them so I left them out.
MORE RECIPES YOU’ll ENJOY!
If you like this salad recipe then don’t leave without checking out my visual recipe index!! Here are some more of my recipes I know you’ll love!
- Gluten Free White Chicken Chili
- Sheet Pan Chicken with Ratatouille
- Paleo Roasted Cauliflower
- Corn Maque Choux
This post contains affiliate links
Southern Chicken Salad
This easy Southern Chicken Salad is a classic American recipe you’ll love! gluten free, low carb, healthy, paleo and Whole30 compliant
- 2 cups cooked chicken 330g, chopped
- 3 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- 3 tbsp celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8th tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup red grapes halved
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tsp lemon juice