My Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is so easy to make and is cooked in less than thirty minutes! With tender pieces of chicken and white beans, it’s one of our favorite weeknight Instant Pot Chicken dinners!
This post contains affiliate links
How to Make Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Step 1 – Finely chop the onions and turn on the saute function in your Instant Pot or other pressure cooker.
Step 2 – Add a little olive oil and cook the onions on the medium heat setting for about five minutes or until they are soft, do not brown them.
Step 3 – Measure out the Ancho chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic and diced jalapenos.
Step 4 – Add all the herbs and spices to the pot with the onions and stir really well.
Step 5 – Add the chopped chicken and stir well again.
Step 5 – Add in the drained Great Northern Beans and Cannellini Beans to the pot along with the chicken broth and give it all a stir.
Step 6 – Lock the lid and then cook for six minutes at pressure, then let the pressure drop for about ten minutes before opening the lid. Once cooked you can add lime juice and cilantro. If you want to add chopped tomato, just simmer it for a couple of minutes until the tomato softens.
Instant Pot Chicken Chili FAQ’s
- How long will it keep? About four days in the fridge, and it freezes really well.
- Can I make it in a Crock Pot? I’m sure you could, though I’ve not tested the recipe in slow cooker but it would probably take about four hours on high or a bit longer on the low setting.
- Can I double the recipe? As long as your pressure cooker is big enough to do this safely, then yes. The cook time will remain the same but the increased volume will mean it will take longer to come to pressure.
- Is it very hot? No, I don’t think so. The Ancho Chili powder adds a lovely smoky flavor and the fresh Jalapenos add a little heat but not a lot.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Best Instant Pot Beef Chili
- Instant Pot Chili Verde
- Instant Pot Cincinnati Chili
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Rice Pudding
- Instant Pot Corn on The Cob
- Best Instant Pot Chili
Instant Pot Chicken Chili
Easy recipe for Chicken Chili you can make in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions , diced
- 1½ tbsp Ancho chili powder , or substitute regular chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 jalapenos , seeded and diced
- 4 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 1 can Great Northern beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 can Cannellini beans , rinsed and drained
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts chopped , about 3 large
- 2 Roma tomatoes , diced
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- lime wedges , to serve
- sour cream (optional) , to serve
Cook the onions in a little olive oil in the inner pot of the Instant Pot by turning on the saute function and adjust it to the medium heat setting, then cook for about 5 minutes.
Then add Ancho chili powder, garlic, cumin, oregano, and Jalapenos and stir well.
- Add the gluten free chicken broth, chicken, Great Northern beans, Cannelini beans and stir well.
Lock the lid, turn the steam release vent to 'sealing' and using the manual setting, adjust it to cook for 6 minutes at High Pressure, then let the pressure release naturally for ten minutes.
After you open the lid and add chopped tomato, chopped cilantro, and lime juice and simmer on the saute setting for three to four minutes to let the tomato soften.
Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lime wedges and sour cream if desired.
Serving Size – is about one cup (250mls) each, probably a little more.
Storage – keeps for three to four days in the fridge. You can freeze it and defrost it overnight in the fridge.