Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice is a breeze to make, your pressure cooker ensures that you can essentially ‘set it and forget it’ and it will cook while you get on with other things.
This post contains affiliate links
My recipe for Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice is based on the famous Chipotle Rice, so if you love that you’ll really enjoy this recipe!
Tips for making easy Pressure Cooker Cilantro Lime Rice
Making rice in your instant pot or other pressure cooker is easy, so here are a few quick tips to keep you on the right track.
- Use a 1 to 1 rice to water ratio in your pressure cooker and don’t soak your rice as this alters the cook time.
- Always use fresh cilantro for this recipe, the dried stuff simply won’t cut it and is pretty tasteless
- While you can use bottled lemon and lime juice for this in a pinch, it’s really best made with the freshly squeezed juice if at all possible
- I keep the cooked rice in the fridge and reheat it in the microwave in a covered bowl, it takes less than a minute to warm up
- I used basmati rice, but you could also use brown rice, however, you will need to adjust the cook time (see recipe card for details)
Is Cilantro Lime Rice Good for you?
Cilantro lime rice is healthy and nutritious and you can easily make it with brown rice if you prefer. If you use fresh squeezed lemon and lime juice you’ll have plenty of vitamin C and fresh cilantro has many health benefits including vitamin C, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, dietary fiber, calcium, iron, and magnesium.
Related Pressure Cooker Recipes
Kitchen Tools used for Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- Instant Pot – I have a couple of pressure cookers, but this Instant Pot Duo is the one I’d recommend you get if you don’t already have one!
- Chef’s Knife – My knife is similar to this one and it’s not super expensive
- Cutting Boards – I love these cutting boards as I can rinse them and they go straight into the dishwasher when I’m done.
- Citrus Reamer – make squeezing lemons and limes a breeze!
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice can be made really easily in your pressure cooker or Instant Pot, you’ll love it!
INSTANT POT CILANTRO LIME RICE WITH JASMINE RICE
Please read the recipe notes first.
Add un-rinsed jasmine or basmati rice to your pressure cooker along with the chicken broth, salt, and bay leaves.
Lock the lid, turn the steam vent to ‘sealing’ and using the ‘manual’ or ‘pressure cook’ button, adjust it to cook for 3 minutes at high pressure.
When the cook time time is up allow the pressure to drop on its own (NPR – natural pressure release) until the pin has dropped, about 10-15 minutes.
After you open the lid simply stir in the lemon and lime juices, lime zest, and chopped cilantro and stir well.
INSTANT POT CILANTRO LIME RICE WITH BROWN RICE
To make this with brown rice simply follow the same ratio of rice to liquid (1:1) as before and do NOT soak the rice.
Lock the lid, turn the steam vent to 'sealing' and using the 'manual' or 'pressure cook' button, adjust it to cook for 15 minutes at high pressure. (This will make slightly chewy brown rice, if you want it softer add a few more minutes cook time.)
When the cook time time is up wait for 5 minutes, then use quick release to open the valve.
I used low sodium chicken broth to cook the rice with, if your broth is very salty you may want to omit or lower the added salt in the recipe
We used a gluten free low sodium broth, you could also use vegetable broth or simply use water.