Corn Maque Choux is a classic Cajun and southern side dish that’s simple to make and packed with flavor, my version is gluten free.
I first tasted Corn Maque Choux when I went out to eat and knew right away that I wanted to recreate it at home! It’s an easy side dish to make and is packed with wonderful flavors including, corn, bacon, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes and green onions.
WHAT IS MAQUE CHOUX?
Corn Maque choux is a dish native to Southern Louisiana and is thought to have a Creole influence . The classic version of this recipe contains corn, bell peppers, onion, and sometimes garlic, celery, and tomato.
The dish is then traditionally braised with a little bacon grease, and sometimes hot sauce is added to heat it up a little.
For my version of Corn Maque Choux I decided to leave out the celery and added bacon instead, because bacon makes everything better! The salty bacon flavor really enhances the flavors of the vegetables and transforms this into a side dish that really packs a flavor punch.
TIPS FOR MAKING CORN MAQUE CHOUX
- This is an outstanding recipe if you can use grilled fresh corn, it’s really worth it!
- Prep all your vegetables before you start cooking, that way you can throw them all in together.
- If you have time you could cook the bacon separately and get it super crispy, then stir in at the end.
- Serve this with some Memphis Style Ribs for a hearty Southern meal!
Kitchen Items you’ll need to make Corn Maque Choux
A quality non stick skillet is a must to cook your corn maque choux in. I used my well seasoned cast iron skillet for this recipe.
You should be able to find all the ingredients for this recipe at any grocery store. I used frozen corn because it’s January and there’s no fresh corn to be had in Mississippi at this time of year, but if it’s in season I would choose fresh corn over frozen.
This post contains affiliate links
Related Side Dish Recipes
- Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Potato Salad with Bacon and Egg
- Carrot and Raisin Pineapple Salad
- Mississippi Comeback Sauce
RECIPE VIDEO FOR CORN MAQUE CHOUX
Corn Maque Choux Recipe
recreate this classic Southern recipe for Corn Maque Choux at home!
Sauté onions and bell pepper in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat until soft.
Add corn, tomatoes, and bacon; cook for 10- 15 minutes.
Stir in chopped green onions, salt, and pepper; cook 5 more minutes.
adapted from My Recipes