This Mississippi Comeback Sauce is SO GOOD!!! You’ll be back for more, guaranteed!
I live in Mississippi so I guess posting a recipe for Mississippi Comeback Sauce some day was inevitable! Utah has Fry Sauce, Louisiana has Remoulade, and Mississippi has Comeback Sauce.
You can use this comeback sauce as a dip for vegetables, shrimp, grilled meats and I’m sure some other things I’ve not thought of. It also works well as a salad dressing or sauce for sandwiches, it is a big improvement on plain old mayonnaise!
Where does Comeback sauce come from?
There’s little doubt that comeback sauce originated in Jackson, Mississippi, but as is often the case with a classic recipe like this, the precise origins of the original recipe are still hotly debated.
According to Jackson’s Clarion Ledger, many have credited The Rotisserie, Jackson’s first Greek restaurant for creating comeback sauce, but others claim that it originated in 1935 at what’s believed to be the city’s oldest restaurant, the Mayflower Café.
Tips for Making Mississippi Comeback Sauce
There’s no cooking involved here, you just assemble the various ingredients and mix them all together and you’re done.
The sauce is vegetarian and could easily be made vegan with vegan mayo instead of regular mayonnaise. Most of the most popular recipes call for Heinz Chili sauce but I used Sriracha sauce instead.
Many recipes also had oil added but I really don’t need the extra calories and think it tastes great without it.
When I made this last week I served it to the family with some ready cooked frozen shrimp, it was very popular with everyone in the house and I admit that I had some of the leftover sauce with my bacon in the morning, yum!
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links
MORE OF MY FAVORITE EASY RECIPES!
- Oven Baked Italian Meatballs (Paleo, Whole30)
- Easy Shepherd’s Pie (Paleo and Whole30 Option)
- Chicken Piccata (Paleo, Whole30)
- Gluten Free Honey Sesame Chicken (Paleo)
- Carrot Raisin Pineapple Salad (Paleo, Whole30, Vegan option)
- Paleo Meatloaf with Gravy
- Grilled Lemon Chicken with Thyme and Lemon
Mississippi Comeback Sauce
- Add all the ingredients except the lemon juice into a bowl and mix well together, add in the juice of half a lemon and taste, add more if you prefer.
- Will keep covered in the fridge for several days.
- Serve with vegetables, grilled fish or meat, on sandwiches and as a salad dressing.