I love to recreate restaurant meals at home when I can, and more often than not they are pretty simple and quicker to prep and cook than you might imagine.
We don’t eat out an awful lot due to lack of safe gluten free options, but when we do we PF Chang’s is a favorite. While they do have Sweet and Sour Chicken on the menu there, they do not have it on the gluten free menu so our only option is to make it at home.
This is not the kind of gluten free sweet and sour chicken where you fry the meat in batter, I do love that kind but the calorie count and the amount of mess that it creates with the batter and the hot oil mean that I very rarely prepare it like that, especially during the week when I’m more pushed for time. My quick sweet and sour chicken is cooked in one pan in less than 15 minutes so it’s ideal for a weeknight family supper that the whole family can enjoy and there’s no messy batter to deal with!
It’s a good idea to prep the chicken,vegetables, and measure out the other ingredients before you start to cook, that way you are ready to cook it with the minimum amount of stress. If you are serving it with rice you might want to put that on the stove just before you start to cook the chicken so it will be ready to serve when the sweet and sour chicken is cooked.
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ red pepper, cut into chunks
- ½ green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 4 tsp cornstarch, (or arrowroot for paleo) mixed with 4 tsp water
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup pineapple chunks - juice reserved from can
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add to the pan.
- Brown chicken in the skillet and remove to plate.
- Add red and green peppers and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in pineapple chunks, juice, sugar, vinegar and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture and bring liquid to a simmer until it thickens.
- Stir in chicken pieces and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve over rice.