How to Make Paleo Sweet and Sour Chicken
It’s a good idea to prep the chicken,vegetables, and measure out the other ingredients before you start to cook, that way you are ready to cook it with the minimum amount of stress and you’re not likely to overcook anything. The full printable recipe is at the bottom.
I’ve made my sweet and sour chicken Paleo compliant by using Arrowroot, which is a Paleo compliant starch, and coconut sugar. The rest of my family is not Paleo all the time so I served it with regular rice for them and Cauliflower rice for me.
You could also use Tapioca Starch instead of Arrowroot and that would also work well for thickening the sauce. If you don’t have coconut sugar you could use a little honey instead.
- Start by seasoning the Chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then add them to a preheated hot pan with the oil and brown them and take remove them from the pan.
- Mix the pineapple juice with arrowroot starch and stir it until the starch dissolves.
- Then you add the Green and Red bell peppers, pineapple chunks and juice, coconut sugar and vinegar and simmer for a minute, then add back in the chicken for five more minutes.
Paleo Sweet and Sour Chicken
A really easy Paleo free Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe that is cooked in LESS than 15 Minutes, perfect for a weeknight family meal and so much better than takeout!
- 2 skinless chicken breasts , cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 red pepper , cut into chunks
- 1/2 green pepper , cut into chunks
- 1 onion , cut into chunks
- 4 tsp arrowroot
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup pineapple chunks , - juice reserved from can
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and add to the pan.
- Brown chicken in the skillet and remove to plate.
- Add red and green peppers and cook for 1 minute.
Mix arrowroot with the pineapple juice until it dissolves.
Stir in pineapple chunks, juice with arrowroot, coconut sugar, vinegar and bring to a simmer until it thickens.
Stir in chicken pieces and cook for 5 more minutes.