Gluten Free Blueberry Cake is the perfect breakfast cake, it’s easy to make and is nice and moist, not dry like some gluten free baking tends to be.
I like to make my gluten free blueberry cake and freeze some for later, it does keep for a few days in the fridge though. If you are dairy free I have some easy substitutions in the recipe for you as well.
How to Make Gluten Free Blueberry Cake
STEP 1 – Start by preheating your oven to 350F and while you’re waiting make sure that all your ingredients are at room temperature for best results.
Measure the butter and sugar into a bowl and cream together with an electric mixer. While you can do it by hand with a whisk, if your butter it not really soft it might be a little tricky!
STEP 2– beat the eggs then add vanilla extract, lemon juice, give it a good whisk and add it to the bowl with the butter and mix again.
STEP 3 – In another bowl mix together the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and lemon zest so that it’s fully combined.
STEP 4 – Then add the flour mix into the butter/egg mixture and mix really well remembering to scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go so that the gluten free blueberry cake batter is properly mixed together.
STEP 5 – carefully fold in the blueberries into the cake batter, do not be tempted to use a mixer or you will break the berries! Pour the batter into a lined 9 inch square cake pan and bake on the middle shelf of your oven for 35-45 or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Related Gluten free cakes
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- Gluten Free Lemon Cupcakes
- Gluten Free Banana Bread
This post contains Amazon affiliate links
Gluten Free Blueberry Cake
Breakfast can often be quite boring but not if it involves Gluten Free Blueberry Cake! with Dairy Free options
- 1 cup butter , 200g (or dairy free margarine)
- 1 cup sugar , 200g
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour blend , 310g
- 1 tsp xanthan gum , - omit if your flour already has gum added
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- lemon zest, from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup milk , 125mls
- 2 cups fresh blueberries , 300g
- Preheat your oven to 350F
Cream together butter and sugar.
Add beaten eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon juice to the bowl with the butter and mix again.
In a separate bowl mix together the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and lemon zest.
Add the gluten free flour mix to the bowl with the eggs mixture and mix again then add in the milk in small amounts until the cake batter fully combined.
Add in the blueberries and fold in gently with a wooden spoon, don't use a mixer or you will break the berries.
- line a 9inch square baking pan with parchment paper on the base and grease the sides.
Spread the batter evenly in the pan and sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar on top.
Bake on the center shelf of your preheated oven for 35 - 45 minutes or until fully cooked, check it with a toothpick in the middle to see if it comes out clean.
- I bake by weight and a digital kitchen scale which you can get one for only $10 - $15. It's more accurate for gluten free baking as different flour blends weigh differently, cup for cup.
- I prefer to use my own homemade gluten free flour blend as it's cheaper and I get really great results.
- For Dairy Free substitutes you can use Earth Balance vegan butter and a dairy free milk of your choice.