Gluten Free White Chocolate Chip Cookies with Peppermint! this is such a fun Christmas holiday cookie and really easy to make with your children. It has a lovely soft gluten free cookie with white chocolate chips and crushed candy cane pieces which bake up nice and chewy!
I wanted to create another gluten free christmas cookie to add to my cookie repertoire and I thought that Gluten Free White Chocolate Chip Cookies with crushed candy canes would be a super fun way to get that Christmas feeling into a gluten free cookie!
The cookie itself is a soft sugar cookie recipe and I simply added the crushed candy canes to the Gluten Free White Chocolate Chip Cookies with a little candy cane and the chocolate chips.
This post contains affiliate links
Gluten Free White Chocolate Chip Cookies Baking Tips
These are very easy cookies to make but before you start I wanted to share a few quick gluten free baking tips to ensure that they turn out well for you!
- Do not use gluten free flour that has beans in it, seriously folks, this does not make for nice tasting cookies!! Some blends use garbanzo beans and I think this is a terrible idea for any dessert baking as the bean taste is overwhelming.
- Don’t skip fully creaming the butter (or dairy free margarine) and sugar as this will help your cookies become light and fluffy!
- Don’t add the salt if your butter has salt added! This will make your cookies overly salty.
- The same goes for xanthan gum, if your gluten free flour blend already has either guar gum or xanthan gum listed in the ingredients then you’ll want to skip adding it.
- Use a digital kitchen scale to weigh your ingredients. Gluten free flour is not always the same weight cup for cup due to the different blends of flour used and this may alter the outcome of your recipes.
Gluten Free White Chocolate Cookies with Peppermint and Candy Canes
Gorgeous Gluten Free White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies that are super fun for the holidays and very easy to make
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter ,or dairy free margarine , 110g
- 1 cup sugar , 225g
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp salt - omit if your butter or margarine has added salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1.5 cups all purpose gluten free flour , 225g
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum - omit if your flour has gum
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup candy cane pieces , about 4-5 candy canes
- Preheat your oven to 325F
- Cream butter and sugar together and beat for 5 minutes until soft and fluffy. This will help incorporate air into the cookies so don't skip this step
Add egg, salt,(omit salt if your butter/margarine has salt added) vanilla extract, peppermint extract, to the mixture and mix briefly to combine.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and mix to make sure the gum is evenly distributed.
Add the flour mix slowly to the butter and sugar and mix well, don't forget to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and make sure it's all incorporated.
Add the white chocolate chips and then the candy cane pieces and mix well to combine.
- Chill cookie dough for at least 30 minutes or until it firms up.
Use a cookie scoop to drop tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake the gluten free white chocolate cookies for 12 -15 minutes.
Allow the cookies to cool a little on the cookie sheet before transferring onto a cooling rack.
These Cookies are best eaten fresh within a day or two, you can freeze them but they are not quite as good defrosted as fresh.
BAKE BY WEIGHT I bake by weight with a digital kitchen scale as I find that gives the most consistent results for gluten free baking, not all gluten free flour blends weigh the same due to the different flours. I also have cup measure for those that don't yet have a scale.
GLUTEN FREE FLOUR I prefer to use my own homemade gluten free flour blend as it's cheaper and I get really great results over using ready mixed blends.