Quick, easy, and healthy, this Gluten Free Sesame Chicken with Honey is a winner and cooks in only ten minutes!
Gluten Free Sesame Chicken
I’m always on the look out for more easy weeknight dinners that I know my family will love. Thankfully my boys are not super picky and are pretty easy to please.
I saw this recipe last week when I was searching round the internet for dinner inspiration and knew right away that it would be a crowd pleaser so I tweaked it a little to make a gluten free Sesame Chicken recipe that would be safe for us to eat.
I sometimes adjust down cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes if I find them in a recipe as my kids will sniff that stuff out at 50 paces and probably not eat whatever it is I’ve prepared. The 1/4 tsp in this recipe adds very little heat and this time they didn’t even notice. If you prefer a little more heat then, by all means, add more chili flakes!
I have added in some alternative ingredient options so that those of you who are paleo can make this recipe too, it will taste virtually the same but a little milder because coconut aminos are not as strong as soy sauce, and I subbed arrowroot for cornstarch.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links
MORE EASY WEEKNIGHT DINNER RECIPES!
- Tasty Paleo Cuban Pork Roast
- Paleo Honey Mustard Chicken
- Easy Paleo Chili Verde
- Broccoli Chicken Casserole with Rice and Cheese
- PF Chang’s Copycat Mongolian Beef
- Gluten Free Blackened Fish Taco Bowl
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce (coconut aminos for paleo)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup (tomato sauce for paleo)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1.5 lb skinless chicken breast halves, cut in half lengthways
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (arrowroot for paleo)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Toast sesame seeds in a dry pan over medium heat. It will take about three minutes or so and you will need to stir them all the time so they don't burn and get toasted evenly, toss them out onto a plate once they are done.
- Mix honey, soy sauce, ketchup, sesame oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes together in a bowl.
- If you haven't already done so, cut your chicken breasts in half lengthways, so that you get a thin fillet.
- Place cornstarch or arrowroot in a shallow bowl and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Dredge each chicken piece in the starch and shake off excess, then put the chicken in one layer on a plate.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat and then add the chicken pieces. Do not crown the pan and just do a few at a time. it will take about four minutes per side, eight minutes total.
- Stir in honey soy mixture to the pan with the chicken and stir well, cook for a minute or so and then turn the chicken pieces so they get coated in the sauce and cook for a further minute. Check that your chicken is cooked through then remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve hot.
Nutrition Facts and Calorie Count for one serving of Gluten Free Sesame Chicken with Honey