I love to make homemade salsa because it takes so little effort, involves no cooking, and tastes a thousand times better than store bought! I don’t always make homemade salsa, but I never regret it when I do. And really you can use any kind of onion you like in this, but I just love the flavor of red onion so I typically use that if I have it. Did you see my recipe for Gluten Free Pot Roast Tacos? They’re so simple to make as the slow cooker does all the work, my Easy Salsa and homemade Guacamole recipes work perfectly with it.
The best time to make this is in the summer when fresh tomatoes from the farmers market are available, and if you can find some home grown cilantro to go with it that’s even better! Of course we’re now into November so there’s not a proper homegrown tomato to be had anywhere near here, but your regular grocery store tomatoes will work perfectly well for this recipe and still taste fantastic.
Quick and Easy Salsa
- 4 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- cilantro about a handful chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the tomatoes in to small pieces, and do the same for the red onion and add them to a bowl. I like the onion to be chopped quite small.
- Take care prepping the jalapeno, you may want to wear gloves. Remove all the seeds and finely chop it and then add to the onions and tomatoes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- If serving right away you can leave it for up to 1 hour at room temperature before serving to allow the flavors to improve.
- If you are not eating it right away you need to refrigerate it.