Delicious Healthy Beef and Butternut Squash Stew! It’s Paleo,Whole30, Gluten Free, Low Carb. Can be made in a slow cooker or crockpot.
How to Cook Beef and Butternut Squash Stew
This is my easy version of a beef and butternut squash stew recipe, it’s quick to make and tastes fabulous! I used an enameled cast iron pot to cook this in, it’s my favorite pot of all time.
I often use ready chopped beef and butternut squash to save time in the chopping and peeling. I always saute the onions and brown the beef as it really adds to the flavor.
And lastly make sure you add in the butternut squash near the end of the cook time so that it’s not overcooked.
How to Cook Beef and Butternut Squash in a Slow Cooker
This is also a breeze to cook in your slow cooker. It will take about 3-4hours on the high setting and about 5-6 hours on low.
like before I saute the onions and brown the beef before I add it to my crockpot, and then I add the butternut squash about 30 minutes before the end of the cook time.
*This post may contain Amazon affiliate links*
MORE OF MY FAVORITE EASY RECIPES!
- Oven Baked Italian Meatballs (Paleo, Whole30)
- Easy Shepherd’s Pie (Paleo and Whole30 Option)
- Chicken Piccata (Paleo, Whole30)
- Gluten Free Honey Sesame Chicken (Paleo)
- PF Chang’s Mongolian Beef Copycat
- Company Pot Roast
- Beef Bourguignon (paleo whole30)
Beef and Butternut Squash Stew
- *READ NOTES*
- Prepare the squash by peeling it, removing the seeds and cutting it into cubes.
- If your beef is not already cut into pieces then cut it up into cubes, and the same for the onion.
- Heat the oil on a medium heat in alarge pot with a solid bottom, then add the onion and saute for a couple minutes, now add the beef and brown it for a couple of minutes.
- Add the beef stock, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cook it on the stove top on a low simmer for about an hour with a lid on the pot, do not boil.
- Finally add the butternut squash and cook for a further 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
- SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- Follow the directions as before and saute the onions and brown the beef.
- Now you want to add the beef, onions, butternut squash and all remaining ingredients into the slow cooker.
- Cook it on low for 5 - 6 hours, or high for about 3 - 4. how long it takes will depend on the heat of your slow cooker, I would check it after 3 hours so see if the meat is tender and the squash is soft.
- I have two slow cookers and the newer one is hotter on the high and low settings than the older one.
Recipe Notes*I have found it hard to find store bought paleo or whole30 beef broth for this recipe so you would need to use homemade beef broth, or you could just use water as an alternative, it won't be quite as rich but it will work.
You will need a decent sized pan with a heavy bottom, or Dutch oven, to cook this stew on the stovetop. If your pan is very thin your stew will almost certainly burn before it is cooked.
Alternatively you can cook it easily in a slow cooker, that would work well too.