Healthy lightened up Gluten Free Broccoli Casserole with Chicken, Rice and Cheese, only 431 calories per serving!!
Gluten Free Broccoli Casserole
I’ve made a few casseroles (like this one) for my boys lately, they pretty much love anything with cheese in it but I don’t cook with it very often so my Gluten Free Broccoli Casserole was a bit of a treat for them.
As usual I was in a rush making dinner so I opted to include new favorite thing, microwave ready rice!
I know that’s totally lazy, however in my own defense I do typically cook my own rice and I even have a rice cooker that I use weekly.
It’s nice to have some ‘instant’ options though, especially when you are gluten free like I am and almost everything I cook is from scratch.
I used soft goats cheese and mozarella shreds for this casserole, that’s what my boys ate. Since my Celiac diagnosis I really can’t tolerate dairy products at all so I always bake dairy free and typically use vegan cheese shreds and vegan soft cheese instead of the regular kind for a cheese alternative.
I used a 7 – 1/2 inch Ceramic Baking dish to make this in and it worked really well.
The vegan cheese melts pretty well in meals like this, I cook with it fairly frequently. I don’t have a vegan substitute for parmesan so you could add a little more of the vegan mozzarella or just omit it.
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links
MORE OF MY FAVORITE EASY RECIPES!
- Oven Baked Italian Meatballs (Paleo, Whole30)
- Easy Shepherd’s Pie (Paleo and Whole30 Option)
- Chicken Piccata (Paleo, Whole30)
- Gluten Free Honey Sesame Chicken (Paleo)
- Carrot Raisin Pineapple Salad (Paleo, Whole30, Vegan option)
- Paleo Meatloaf with Gravy
- Grilled Lemon Chicken with Thyme and Lemon
- Baked Hawaiian Chicken
- Gluten Free Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Gluten Free Mississippi Mud Cake
- cooking spray
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 4 oz soft cheese (or vegan soft cheese)
- 1.5 cup mozzarella shreds (or vegan mozzarella shreds)
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1.5 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 8oz rice, ready cooked pack
- 1 oz parmesan shreds (about ¼ to ⅓ cup)
- Preheat oven to 375f
- Heat your cast iron or non stick skillet, spray with cooking spray and add onion and red bell pepper and broccoli pieces. Sauté for about five minutes. Add soft cheese (I used goats cheese) and stir until cheese softens.
- Remove pan from the heat and add in Mozzarella, Broccoli, chicken and cooked rice and stir well to combine.
- Add mixture to a greased 7 - ½ inch rectangular baking dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 for ten minutes, serve hot.
Calorie Count and Nutritional Details for Gluten Free Broccoli Casserole with Rice and Cheese