I can’t get enough of home made soup these days, it’s so unbelievably easy to make and often you can just throw in whatever vegetables are lurking in the bottom of your fridge. Soup is very forgiving so even if the vegetables are a little past their best you can still make a great pot of soup with them.
I’ve always loved Cauliflower soup, it has a creamy texture even without adding any cream or milk to it. I don’t always follow a recipe for soup but when I make cauliflower soup I always, always add nutmeg. It might seem like an odd addition to a vegetable soup but just a little grating of nutmeg adds a really subtle flavor which marries so well with the creamy cauliflower taste.
So if you’re sitting at home on a cold day and looking for a simple meal then this would be a great option for lunch or a light supper, it keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days and reheats very easily. It also freezes well so you can make it ahead of time if you need to.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 250ml (1 cup) coconut milk
- 375ml (1.5 cups) gluten free vegetable stock (or chicken)
- grating of nutmeg
- Toasted coconut flakes (optional)
- Put the oil in a pan and then warm on a medium heat, add the onions and cauliflower and stir for about a minute or so. After that turn the heat down to very low and cover the pan and sweat the vegetables for about ten minutes.
- Now you want to add the garlic, coconut milk and stock, turn up the heat until it starts to simmer (do not boil) and then put the lid on and turn the heat down so that the pan will still be simmering with the lid on.
- Cook like this for about 15 minutes.
- Carefully add hot soup to a blender and whiz it until it's smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and a small grating of nutmeg.
- (optional) just before serving add toasted coconut flakes to garnish
This post may contain affiliate links . There are no additional costs passed on to you if you click on the links in this post. Any money earned from commission helps me cover the cost of maintaining this website.